5 Holiday Activities in Fort Worth for Families
Looking for something that your family can enjoy all together? The holidays are one of the best times for families to spend quality time as a unit, thanks to the unique and memorable activities that Fort Worth has to offer this time of year. Here are the local activities we’re looking forward to in 2021, plus a few ideas for making your holiday at home fun for the whole family.
5 local holiday activities the whole family will enjoy:
1. Tour the holiday lights
What better way to get in the holiday spirit than with an evening spent with a to-go cup of cocoa and sparkling lights? There are numerous opportunities here in Fort Worth:
- If you want to stay in the car, visit the Gift of Lights display at the Texas Motor Speedway (November 25 – January 2).
- For an excuse to visit the beautiful Modern Art Museum, check out “The Modern Lights” (November 1 – February 6).
- For a photo-op in a city setting, we also love the enormous Sundance Square Christmas Tree downtown, which will be up through January 6.
2. Seize the chance to go ice skating
Do the kids need to get some energy out? Take your family ice skating at Panther Island Ice (November 19 – January 17). The outdoor rink is located at the Coyote Drive-in Theater and is open seven days a week. Coyote Drive-in remains open for outdoor seating with gas heaters, so adults can relax and enjoy a meal or beverage while kids skate.
3. Take the family to see a classic Christmas ballet
For a classic performance to warm hearts and provide some entertainment, take the family to see The Nutcracker at Texas Ballet Theater (November 26 – December 26). Tickets are available for afternoon matinee performances, as well as evenings. For those ages 13 and up, the theater also will offer a performance of The Nutty Nutcracker—a “zanier” and “side splitting” take on the traditional ballet.
4. Paint ornaments together
It’s always a blast to paint together! For a little creative fun, take the family to The Art Barn Studio, where everyone can choose and paint their own holiday ornament. Personalized ornaments also make special gifts for a grandparent or beloved family member—a win-win!
5. Have a “wild” holiday at the zoo
You don’t want to miss Texas Wild! Wonderland at the Fort Worth Zoo (November 27 – December 19; Saturdays and Sundays only). The zoo’s very first holiday event will have opportunities for photos with Santa, a candy cane carousel, falling snow, and seasonal snacks. Plus, you can plan to catch one of the holiday-themed stage shows.
Start a new tradition at home
With a little planning, there are endless activities to make the most of the time you have with your family at home. Here are a few ideas to get everyone in the holiday spirit:
- Build a gingerbread house. This recipe, shopping list, and timeline will guide you through all the steps to create a DIY gingerbread house. For little bitty kids, an easy version using graham crackers can keep prep to a minimum.
- Watch a Christmas movie together. Does your family have a favorite Christmas movie? Designate a beloved film as your Christmas Eve or Christmas day movie selection; serve buttered popcorn and any other favorite theater snacks to make it feel extra special.
- Make cookies for Santa. Get the kids involved in saying “thank you” to every child’s favorite saint. For extra fun, bring out the cookie decorating supplies and see what everyone creates.
- Start a read-aloud tradition. For a little screen-free family time, start a holiday storybook read-aloud tradition. To get the kids involved, visit your local library or bookstore and let them choose the book.
- Plan a family-wide game. Ever played Christmas Charades or Candy Cane Hunt? This roundup from Country Living has 37 Christmas game ideas to easily entertain everyone using items you already have around your house.
About Kirby Plastic Surgery + Kalos Medical Spa
Dr. Emily Kirby is a board certified plastic surgeon offering a full range of surgical and nonsurgical procedures in Fort Worth. Kirby Plastic Surgery and Kalos Medical Spa are located in the Shops at Clearfork. To schedule a personal consultation, call or text (817) 292-4200 or contact our practice online.