- Home :
- Blog :
- Media Items :
- Blog :
- Press Release :
- Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon Urges Patients to Plan Ahead; Offers Timing Tips for Great Results
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon Urges Patients to Plan Ahead; Offers Timing Tips for Great ResultsApril 18, 2017 by Kirby Plastic Surgery
Dr. Emily J. Kirby says smart timing is key for a safe procedure and a beautiful outcome
Fort Worth, TX, April 18, 2017—In a world of TV on demand and drive-thru lattes, instant gratification has become the norm in modern life. But a “fast food” mentality should not apply when it comes to having plastic surgery, says Fort Worth board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Emily J. Kirby. She wants prospective patients to know that a safe procedure, excellent results, and positive experience with plastic surgery requires thoughtful planning, including a realistic timeframe for surgery and recovery.
“In my practice, I have noticed a growing number of patients who are under the impression that it is possible to complete a consultation and surgery in a matter of a few weeks—or even less. However, highly experienced, sought-after surgeons typically have schedules booked up for several months,” states Dr. Kirby, who has been named a Fort Worth Magazine Top Doctor for the last 3 consecutive years.
Dr. Kirby says that the plastic surgery process—from researching potential plastic surgeons to getting back to one’s full routine after surgery—can take at least 6 months and warns that rushing the process in order to get results quickly can lead to compromises that jeopardize a patient’s health or leave her with subpar results.
“Plastic surgery should be taken seriously as any other medical procedure—it is worth the wait to get in with a highly experienced, board certified plastic surgeon whose work you love,” stresses Dr. Kirby.
To help patients better plan for their cosmetic procedures, Dr. Kirby recently published a guide outlining typical timeframes for the plastic surgery process. She highlights four key phases:
- 1 to 2 weeks to research plastic surgeons and finalize a list of those with whom you wish to consult. Dr. Kirby notes that patients should make sure any plastic surgeon they are considering is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and experienced in the procedures they are seeking.
- Up to 6 weeks to get a consultation appointment. Reputable plastic surgeons are often booked for several weeks out at any given time. Patients hoping to meet with multiple surgeons may need additional time to complete all consultations.
- 4 to 10 weeks between consultation and surgery. It is common for a plastic surgeon’s first available date to be many weeks after a consultation. Dr. Kirby adds that some patients may need additional time to make lifestyle changes, such as quitting smoking, to minimize risks and ensure optimal healing.
- Time for recovery, including 1 to 2 weeks of downtime following surgery. Most patients require at least 1 week away from work, driving, and other daily activities. Results are typically considered “photo-ready” no sooner than 3 months after surgery.
Dr. Kirby stresses that patients who want to be healed and look great for a special occasion, as well as those who have a small window of available time for surgery and downtime, should start the consultation process as early as possible—up to a year in advance is not too soon.
“The best way to get the ideal surgery date for your schedule, with the plastic surgeon you prefer, is to start the consultation process at least 6 months prior. The more time between your consultation and desired surgery date you allow, the more likely it is that your plastic surgeon will be available at a time that works well for you,” advises Dr. Kirby.
Those who wish to learn more about Dr. Kirby’s recommendations for plastic surgery timing should contact Kirby Plastic Surgery at 817-292-4200 or visit kirbyplasticsurgery.com.